Saturday, February 2, 2013

Doing the Wash

Even mundane things like doing laundry are more exciting when you're living outside of your own country! It turns out that in Germany, as in many other European countries, it's pretty common to have a washing machine in your house but no dryer. Laundromats and apartment complexes tend to have dryers, but smaller apartment complexes and older houses often don't.

As a result, I have been learning the art of hanging wet clothing so that it dries quickly and doesn't end up with any strange wrinkle patterns from the clothes pins. I have also been trying out fabric softener so that we end up with soft t-shirts rather than stiff boards.

I also had some fun decoding the Waschmachine when we first moved in. Everywhere I turn, there is new vocabulary! So far, I have been focusing on household things, such as cooking, cleaning, and shopping - more on all that later!
All these buttons and settings were quite intimidating when I went to run my first load!

No comments: