Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A few of my favorite things....

Our trip to the Netherlands was filled with many of my favorite things.

1. Breakfast.
it may look brown and lumpy, but it is quite tasty! [Flickr: multipel_bleiben]
The Dutch know how to do breakfast. Giant pancakes? Yep. Tiny pancakes? Of course. Syrup? Yes, please.

In particular, I loved the poffertjes, which are small puffed pancakes covered in butter and sugar, and served with fruit. They are cooked on special dimpled griddles, and I did my best to eat them at least twice a day!

poffertjes in the seaside village of Volendam

2. Baby animals.
Spring was in full swing in Holland, with energetic little lambs, adventurous ducklings, and plump goslings all over the countryside.
these little guys were frolicking in a field near our bed and breakfast in Hazerswoude-Dorp
lucky ducklings at Keukenhoff
goslings at Kinderdijk
3. Flowers.
J and I carefully planned the timing of our trip since the tulip fields peak at a slightly different time every year. This year, things were a bit late due to the uncommonly long and cold (and overcast, ugh) winter so our trip ended up being at the perfect time.
rows upon rows of tulips and daffodils and hyacinth!
There is nothing like driving down winding country roads with the scent of flowers in the air! It was a really magical experience, a once-in-a-lifetime sort of feeling. I loved the flowers so much that they'll get their on post later on.
at the Keukenhoff Garden
4. This guy.

Who very sweetly put up with me pointing out every baby animal we came across, let me sniff and touch and ogle all the flowers I liked, and made sure I got my fill of those tasty little pancakes. Thanks for an amazing birthday trip, sweet husband!

1 comment:

leslie said...

awww! He loves when you're happy!